Feb 20, 2012

Important Things That Guide My LIfe–Part 1

So, you may wonder, how do I keep from being an angry Aspie who melts down and rages at the neurotypical world.  Medication?  That has helped in the past, and helps many individuals.  Assistive devices such as a weighted blanket?  Use one at night.  Would look a little odd if I had it with me in the office.

Perhaps there is a therapist?  I always seemed better informed than they.  Do you count the many helpful individuals at church?  If so, then yes, they are helpful.

Alcohol?  Not for a very long time.  It’s a deceptive freedom that destroys my mind and offers a crutch to convince me that I am actually lame.  So are the many other options available for me to hide away in and numb my brain.

What sets me free from angry melt downs and places me on “upward” road to personal fulfillment?  My deeply held religious beliefs.

Sorry if that disappoints, but it is quite true.  Neurological and physical deficits not withstanding, there are emotional and personal difficulties that we Aspies face, because the neurotypical world seems so inexplicable.  The only way to face those difficulties is with powerful truth that reshape our perspective.  With a commitment to those truths, I am armed with a power to stand strong in my environment and not melt, not run away and hide, and not seek a mind numbing crutch after I get home.

I’ve committed myself to core affirmations, that I strive to live out at all times.  These affirmations are based in the Bible.

Here is the first:

All humans are made in the image of God. Today I will treat each person with commensurate respect and in doing so will reverence for my creator.

Genesis 1:27  “So God created man in His [own] image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.”

Every person around me, no matter how they irritate me, is a reflection of the infinitely powerful, just, and loving God who made them.  He is the only God who exists, and deserve my respect.

Needless to say, when I respect those he has made, I disrespect the one who made them.  Also, if I am reverent toward God then I will also be reverent toward one who bears the image of that same God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment